Posts for: April, 2015
Cancer prevention goes a long way towards keeping your health right where you want it to be. That means that keeping the largest (and most visible) organ of the body cancer-free is of the utmost importance!
At Southeast Dermatology, Mary Garman, M.D., and her crew of dermatologist professionals understand the value of keeping your skin healthy for the long haul. Of course, this includes providing patients with the knowledge and tools they need to lower their risk for contracting skin cancer, which affects more than a million Americans annually. In fact, skin cancer is the most common cancer among human patients to date!
Despite its prevalence in American patients, skin cancers are actually quite curable if they're found early. Unfortunately, many people wait too long to get checked by their doctor, making attending your regular doctor visits each year of paramount importance for lasting skin cancer prevention.
Skin cancer typically manifests itself in one of three ways:
- basal cell carcinoma
- squamous cell carcinoma
While each skin cancer type presents a specific set of challenges, most cancers are associated with too much ultraviolet sun radiation. Take a look at some of the best preventive tips you should take to reduce your chance of getting skin cancer below:
- Don't be out in the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., the hottest period during the day.
- Wear protective clothing, particularly a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses.
- Wear sunscreen throughout the year with a SPF that's no less than 15.
- Apply sunblock that stands strong against UVA and UVB rays; typically, sunblocks with the phrase "broad spectrum" on the container are a good bet.
- Self-examine your skin regularly (at least once every few weeks) and speak with a dermatologist if there's any unexplainable changes.
- Attend regular skin examinations at Southeast Dermatology for greater comfort about your skin health.
For more information on why keeping your skin free of cancer can start today, give Dr. Garman a call at (281) 991-5944 for healthy skin that lasts a lifetime right here in Pasadena, TX!