Its summer time! We are in the midst of summer and I have been getting a lot of questions about how to treat sunburns. Here are my favorite tips!
1. Treat as soon as you notice it. Get out of the sun, get indoors, or wear protective clothing.
2. Use a gel or moisturizer with aloe vera. I like to stick these in the fridge and apply as frequently as you like. It will soothe uncomfortable skin.
3. If you have really uncomfortable areas, you may want to apply OTC hydrocortisone 1% cream or may need a prescription strength topical steroid to help the more inflamed areas.
4. Take cool baths or showers. Pat dry once out of the shower or bath, which leaves some water on your skin. Then apply moisturizers.
5. Stay hydrated. Your body will be loosing more fluids so you have to replenish.
Remember that cumulative sunburns can lead to early aging, sun damage and skin cancer. The best thing to do is to prevent by wearing sun protective clothing, SPF > 30 and REAPPLY every 1.5 hours especially after sweating or water activity. Thanks for reading!
#southeast_dermatology #DrIshaLopez #sunburn #treatmentforsunburn #sunsafety