Posts for: July, 2019
The dermatological doctors at Southeast Dermatology, located in Pasadena and Southeast Houston, TX, can tell you more about acne.
Here are some FAQs about acne:
What is acne?
Acne is the most common skin condition in the United States, about 80% of adolescents have acne and about 5% of adults experience acne, which is characterized by pimples that appear all over your body: face, back and chest.
There are two types of blemishes:
- Whiteheads/Blackheads: These are non-inflammatory comedones that appear on your face and shoulders.
- Red Pustules or Papules: These are inflamed pores filled with pus.
Remember not to pick or scratch at lesions. Picking at them may lead to inflammation and long-term scarring.
What are the causes of acne?
Skin has oil glands, sebaceous glands, under skin produce an oily substance called sebum that moisturizes the surface of the skin and ridding your skin of unwanted dead skin cells.
In the case of acne, the pores in which oils are secreted to reach the skin are plugged up causing the buildup of sebum and the accumulation of dead skin.
Fully blocked pores result in white heads and open pores result in blackheads. As explained before, inflamed whiteheads or blackheads result in red pustules or papules.
What kind of treatment options are there?
There is no overnight remedy for treating acne and your Pasadena and Southeast Houston dermatologist understands how this may impact your self confidence.
Here are some treatment options you may want to consider:
- Benzoyl Peroxide, which reduces blockages in hair follicles.
- Oral and Topical Antibiotics, treats infections that develop in pores.
- Hormonal Treatments, which is used for adult women suffering from hormonally-induced acne.
- Tretinoin, which is a derivative of Vitamin A, that unplugs blocked-up material in whiteheads/blackheads.
- Extraction, helps with the removal of whiteheads and blackheads with the use of a small metal instrument.
If you have any questions about acne, feel free to contact your Pasadena and Southeast Houston, TX, dermatologist today!