Posts for: February, 2019
Knowing the early warning signs of skin cancer could just save your life.
No matter whether you are directly at risk for developing skin cancer or not, it’s important that you keep an eye on your moles so that you know right away if they start changing. Our dermatologists in both Pasadena and Southeast Houston want patients to take an active and vested interest in their skin health, for performing regular self-exams every month is one of the best ways to detect skin cancer in its earlies stages. Read on to learn more!
Here’s what to look for when it comes to early signs of skin cancer
It’s time to remember your ABCDEs when it comes to looking out for suspicious moles that could be trying to tell you that something is wrong. In order to catch these issues early on, it’s important that you are performing skin exams on yourself every month.
When we talk about remembering your ABCDEs, we are talking about the criteria you should use to make sure that any moles or growths are fine and healthy. The ABCDEs stand for,
- Asymmetry: A healthy mole will be the same size, shape, and color on both sides.
- Border: Healthy moles have clearly defined and smooth borders.
- Color: A healthy mole should only be a single color; it should never contain multiple colors.
- Diameter: Suspicious moles are often larger than 6mm, or the size of a pencil eraser.
- Evolving: Healthy miles shouldn’t change over the years. They should stay the same in regards to color, shape, or size.
Other warning signs to look out for include,
- A lesion or growth that doesn’t heal
- A mole that bleeds, scabs over or itches
- Swelling or redness around the mole
If you are noticing any changes in your moles, it’s important that you call either our Pasadena or Southeast Houston skin doctors in order to schedule a skin cancer screening as soon as possible. Even if you haven't observed anything too concerning in your skin, it’s still important to turn to a medical professional every year for an evaluation.
Call us today!
When was the last time you had a skin cancer screening? If you’ve never had one or if it’s been over a year, it’s the perfect time to call Southeast Dermatology in Pasadena or Southeast Houston, TX, to schedule your next screening. Phone (281) 991-5944 for Pasadena, or (281) 481-0033 for Southeast Houston